Compose Yourself provides advanced in-school and out-of-school composition classes to high school age musicians interested in exploring music composition on a deeper level.
Compose Yourself is a perfect extension for high schools with existing instrumental or vocal music programs.
- Serves high school students
- Student-produced and performed readings are a point of pride for the entire school community
- Students create using any musical language or style (musical theater, jazz, rock, hip hop, experimental, folk, world music, classical and beyond)
- Side-by-side readings with professional musicians from ACO
- Participating students have access to ACO dress rehearsals and featured composers
- 11 CY students have won a total of 21 national young composer competitions
- 16 have been finalists or honorable mentions in national young composer competitions
- 2 have had works featured on NY Philharmonic Family Concerts
- All of our graduates have been accepted to their first-choice college
- Compose Yourself is the first step in ACO’s composer advancement pipeline!
Boston Conservatory, Columbia University
- Trained, experienced Teaching Artists who are active professional performers and composers
- Program oversight and administrative support, including coordination of personalized planning and program evaluation
- Field trips and guest artist opportunities
- A consistent, enthusiastic classroom teacher to
be present and participate alongside the students
- Necessary instruments or supplies – these expenses are usually small, and ACO can often arrange for donations or discounts
- Evaluation information and student data, such as comparative attendance, academic and social performance statistics