For Middle and High School students WITH or WITHOUT musical experience.
Master composers and performers work with your students on developing the courage, and technique necessary for a confident and creative approach to improvisation. In most cases this will be achieved through a combination of demonstrations and engaging, hands-on activities focused around the study and preparation of one of the composer’s works. The results will be presented at a culminating event alongside a guest ensemble in a performance at your school.
Possible Program Examples:
If your school currently has an ongoing music program:
- 3 workshops with your music students on improvisation techniques led by acclaimed composer/performer
- 3rd workshop – the Manhattan Brass Quintet also attends, performs for the music students and participates in a rehearsal/workshop with them.
- Culminating event: MBQ performs and is joined by the students for a raucous and improvisation filled rendition of a piece they’ve rehearsed together.
If your school currently does NOT have an ongoing music program:
- 3 workshops with your students led by acclaimed composer/percussionist.
- 1st is a demonstration and performance of percussion techniques done entirely on home made instruments and found objects.
- 2nd & 3rd – students create a battery of instruments drawn from their school environment and learn about creativity, form, rhythm, listening skills and identity while creating a new work of their own.
- Culminating event: SO Percussion performs
for the student body and is joined by the student ensemble to perform
the student created work for the school.