Compose Yourself! 2019 Summer Intensive
Six seminar-style sessions designed to help young composers develop positive approaches to creativity, learn professional standards of notation, and develop strong orchestration technique in a supportive, hands-on environment.
Class dates and times:
Mondays and Thursdays (10am-1pm)
August 5, 8, 12, 15 and 19. Sessions usually run 3 hours, but students should be prepared for the possibility of 2 or 3 extended sessions to accommodate extra time with guest composers (on those days, we provide lunch).
Our final session will be on the morning of Thursday August 22. That afternoon (time TBD) we’ll have a Reading Session of works created during the intensive.
All classes are held at Columbia University.
Deadline for Registration: June 1, 2019
• Reading and performance of student works by professional musicians.
• Reading session is recorded for inclusion in college portfolios, competitions and the like
• Classes are limited to no more than 8 students in order assure personalized attention
• Visits by renowned guest composers take place during extended sessions
• Students from 8th-12th grades are welcome.
• Students are required to attend ALL sessions.
• Students will be asked to develop an original ensemble piece from front to finish during the course of the workshops. Students should begin sketching and gathering ideas ahead of time.
Since a great deal of our learning will result from experiencing how musicians respond to our notation – the ability to read music is a must.
Workshops will be led by the American Composers Orchestra Education Director, Kevin James. He will be in touch with further details after receiving your completed registration.
*American Composers Orchestra is committed to making these workshops available to all interested students -scholarships are available in cases of financial hardship.
~If we have larger than expected registration, classes may be added. In this case classes may take place in the afternoons on the dates listed OR on different days during the same weeks.