Compose Yourself! is an acclaimed pre-professional development program for High School aged musicians from the American Composers Orchestra Education Department.
Do You Want to Learn to Write Music?
—During the COVID shutdown ACO will be offering its regular Summer High School Composers Intensive experience via distance learning.—
The ACO Compose Yourself! High School Summer Composers Intensive includes 6 seminar-style sessions designed to help young composers develop positive approaches to creativity, learn professional standards of notation, and develop strong orchestration technique in a supportive, hands-on environment.
This class is for:
HIGH SCHOOL aged students
Classes will meet:
MONDAYS and THURSDAYS
August 3, 6, 10, 13, 20 & 24
Our reading session(s) of all the new works will take place on:
Thursday August 27 (time TBD)
- Classes are limited to no more than 8 students in order assure personalized attention
- Visits by renowned guest composers
- Reading and performance of resulting student works played by professional musicians (our theme this summer will be antiphonal music, in order to accommodate the possibility of a properly socially distanced live, or outdoor reading session)
- Reading session is recorded for inclusion in college portfolios, competitions and the like
- Students from 8th-12th grades are welcome.
- Students are required to attend ALL sessions.
- Although we’re open to alternative approaches, students need to be able to read music
Workshops will be led by the American Composers Orchestra Education Director, Kevin James.
Scholarships are available in cases of need. American Composers Orchestra is committed to making these workshops available to all interested students. Look for the check box on the registration.
**If we have larger than expected registration, a second or third class may be added. In this case classes may be scheduled in the afternoons on the dates listed OR on different days during the same weeks.
REGISTER at bit.ly/CYsummer20
DEADLINE: June 26, 2020
NEED MORE INFORMATION?
Contact ACO Education Director Kevin James, 212.977.8495 x202 or kevin [at] americancomposers.org.