ACO periodically undertakes special initiatives to focus on specific areas of repertoire, encourage the creation of new experimental works, or address challenges faced by composers in orchestral music today. Frequently, these initiatives include a call for scores or proposals. Composers should sign-up for ACO’s email list and check the website to be aware of call procedures and deadlines.
Previous Special Programs have included:
- coLABoratory: Playing it UNsafe – an extended “R & D” Lab for the creation of experimental new orchestra music
- Jazz Composers Orchestra Institute – an intensive training and new music readings for jazz composers wishing to compose for the symphony orchestra
- SONiC: Sounds of a New Century – a festival of emerging composers in the 21st century
Orchestra Tech – Exploring and encouraging the integration of technology into the modern orchestra
- Improvise – Improvisation meets the orchestra: from jazz to real-time electronic experimentation
- Sonidos de las Américas –